“Appetizers should be items that are distinctive enough to get customers’ attention but not so strange that guests don’t know whether they’ll like them or not. At the same time, shareable items are gaining in popularity.”
Nation’s Restaurant News, “Innovative, Sharable Appetizers Drive Sales,” July 2013.
Fresh oysters topped with a savory Pierce Chicken® Chicken Bacon, bread crumbs and spinach filling and baked to perfection.
|Oysters, large, in half shell||48 each|
|Cheesy spinach filling (recipe provided)||3 cups|
|Dry bread crumbs, plain||3 cups|
|Pierce Chicken® Chicken Bacon (Code #11054), cooked and chopped||2½ pounds (½ of a pouch)|
To make one serving (2 oysters):
- Top each of 2 oysters in half shell with 1 tablespoon cheesy spinach filling and 1 tablespoon bread crumbs.
- Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes or until oysters are plump and cheese is bubbly.
- Garnish each oyster with 1 tablespoon chopped Chicken Bacon.
Chef's Tip: Large Louisiana Blue Point or Malpeque oysters are ideal.
CHEESY SPINACH FILLING
|Yellow onion, ⅛-inch dice||¼ cup|
|Garlic, peeled, chopped||1 teaspoon|
|Butter, unsalted||¼ cup|
|Lemon juice||2 tablespoons|
|Cream cheese, softened||1 cup (8 ounces)|
|Monterey Jack cheese, shredded||1 cup (4 ounces)|
|Baby spinach||1½ cups|
|Parsley, fresh, minced||1 teaspoon|
Makes 3 cups:
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter in a skillet for 5 minutes or until tender; stir in lemon juice.
- Add cheeses, spinach and parsley.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until cheese is blended.
- Cool completely; refrigerate until service.